We work with a variety of different organisations across Wiltshire and Swindon to provide a range of opportunities for people to be active. Take a look at what our partners can offer you.
Wiltshire Council / Active Wiltshire
The Sports Development Team at Wiltshire Council run a variety of programmes and activities (some of which are currently suspended due to Covid-19) to give everyone across Wiltshire opportunities to be active.
- Junior Basketball Programme: weekly basketball sessions in Salisbury, Marlborough, Trowbridge, and Chippenham.
- Doorstep Sports Clubs: free sessions in a variety of sports delivered to young people from disadvantaged communities.
- Gymnastics Programme: weekly gymnastics sessions for those aged 2-14 at Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre in Salisbury, Springfield Community Campus in Corsham, and the Nadder centre in Tisbury.
- Get Wiltshire Walking: a Public Health funded project which aims to ensure every community within the county has access to a FREE weekly led walk.
- The Live Well Programme: social daytime opportunities for adults to meet like-minded people and discover new activities such as short mat bowls, badminton, and table tennis.
- Running groups: regular running sessions open to all abilities. More information is available on the Active Wiltshire Facebook page
- The FA Mars Just Play Programme: weekly football sessions delivered at venues across Wiltshire for those who don't want to commit to an eight month season of matches and training.
- No Strings Badminton: informal pay and play session designed for adults of any ability who are looking to participate in a fun and relaxed environment.
- Walking sports: Walking sports are traditional sports played at a slower, walking pace. Football, netball, and rugby are offered.
- Rising Stars Programme: multi-sports sessions for young people with a disability
- Wiltshire Boccia Club
- Wheels for All- an inclusive cycling club for adults and young people with a disability.
For more information on programmes and activities offered by Wiltshire Council/Active Wiltshire, contact email@example.com or 01225 770213.
Swindon Borough Council
Swindon Borough Council offer a range of services to support residents to lead a healthy active lifestyle.
- Live Well Swindon Hub. This is designed to provide a point of contact for anything related to improving a person's health and wellbeing. Through the hub, access support and guidance on being more active, weight management, healthy eating, and connecting to community life.
- Be Active, Be Healthy Navigation: free tailored support to lead an active lifestyle, including resources and equipment, a digital behaviour change programme, and ongoing support through regular phone calls.
- Active and Inclusive Swindon: a programme of inclusive events and activities for those over the age of 5 with physical and/or learning disabilities or poor mental health.
- For older adults, they also offer a falls prevention programme.
Active Trowbridge offers a range of sports and other activities for both children and adults run by experienced coaches.
- Our fun and energetic Holiday Camps are based in Trowbridge, Wiltshire and offer children from the ages of 4-12 years old* the chance to experience a range of sport and play activities during the school holidays. Choose from Active Kids Camp, Active Kids Camp Extended Day and Soccer Schools.
- Our Toddler pre-school sessions are a mix of learning through play and developing core movement skills through sport, music and dance; perfect for your energetic children aged 16 months to 4 years! Our fun and friendly activities are based at Longfield Community Centre, in Trowbridge and are delivered on a termly basis by our Active Trowbridge coaches.
- Our After School Clubs offer children aged 4-14 years old a great way to keep active and energised through a variety of sports activities. From Multi Sports to Dance, our Active coaches provide fun and inclusive sessions for children of any ability and the chance to meet new friends!
Age UK Fitness and Friendship Clubs
Age UK Wiltshire run Fitness and Friendship groups in 9 areas of the county. These provide a great opportunity for older adults to socialise and stay active. Each meeting includes gentle exercise to help maintain strength, balance and flexibility. There's also lots of time to enjoy chatting over refreshments.
Find out more about Fitness and Friendship clubs, including how to join and your nearest club here.
Get Out Get Active (GOGA)
The ground-breaking GOGA programme began in 2016, and was created to bring disabled and non-disabled people together to be active. It aims to engage the least active communities in fun, inclusive ways. Now it is set to continue until at least 2023.
At WASP, we use our local knowledge to deliver GOGA activities across Wiltshire, including: Fitness and Friendship clubs, seated exercise indoor programmes, Tai Chi, Boccia, Volleyball and New Age Kurling.
Park Yoga aims to connect people to the natural outdoors, through a relaxing energising and breath-taking yoga session, improving wellbeing and creating a positive ripple effect throughout the community.
WASP partnered with Park Yoga in order to offer free yoga sessions to communities across Wiltshire and Swindon. Sessions are run from May to August every Sunday morning from 9.30-10.30 am in Devizes, Swindon, and Salisbury.
Click here to find out more.
If you like the idea of getting active and helping the community, take a look at Good Gym!
Good Gym are a group who come together to run, walk, or cycle to help out community projects for older people in Swindon. From hanging curtains for Mr H because he can't manage it on his own, to shovelling a tonne of compost for the Food Growers Group so they can grow vegetables - every GoodGym session is different.
Visit the newly built Padel4All centre in Basset Down and become part of the growing padel community in the UK!
The centre has 3 covered and floodlit courts, and offers a range of opportunities to get involved, even if you are a complete beginner, including:
- Social mix-ins
- Community and schools outreach
- Box leagues and tournaments
- Adult and Junior coaching
Visit their website to find out how you can get involved.
Read about the WASP team's experience of Padel when they tried the sport for the first time at the new centre here.
Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. These events take place in pleasant parkland surroundings and are open to all abilities; from those taking their first steps in running to Olympians; from juniors to those with more experience.
Saturday morning events are 5k and take place in parks and open spaces. On Sunday mornings, there are 2k junior parkruns for children aged four to 14.
There are currently 7 Parkruns, and 4 Junior Parkruns within Wiltshire and Swindon. Click here to find one closest to you!