Volunteer for GOGA!
A fun, exciting and great opportunity for you to become part of an exciting programme that supports disabled and non-disabled people to enjoy being active together. Come and learn, develop new skills, build confidence, and help to make YOUR community healthier, happier, and stronger.
As a volunteer your role could be to:
- Provide one to one or group support and motivation
- General support with encouraging participants to get involved in the activity.
- Making tea & coffee
- Help with setting up / clearing away of equipment
- Assist with the leader/coach delivering the activity
Why Volunteer for GOGA?
Watch the video below to find out about the experiences of 3 of our GOGA Walking Football volunteers!
There are so many benefits of volunteering, here are just a few.
- You will have a greater sense of purpose and meaning in your life
- Health benefits, including improved quality of life, and improved self esteem
- Its an opportunity to learn news skills and meet new people
- Volunteering can help you gain confidence by giving you the chance to try something new and build a real sense of achievement
- It can help boost employment prospects
Not only are there many benefits to you as the volunteer but also for the community.
- Volunteering allows people to play an active role in their society and influence social change
- Volunteering helps break down social barriers and offers the opportunity to meet and mix from different backgrounds
- Volunteers are fundamental in supporting vulnerable people and enabling them to live a healthy life
In return for your time and support with GOGA, we will provide you with
- FREE and relevant training in a range of courses, (E.g., First Aid, Safeguarding, Equality Awareness & Make Someone Welcome) with certificates provided
- Incentives for completing x12 hours of volunteering
- Regular meetings (online/face to face) to offer support/further training/share good practice/network
- Some support with travel costs
- We would ask for a time commitment minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months
- Flexible time commitments around your work/ family (e.g. maximum one hour, once per week)
- A reference at the end of programme
Volunteering for me gives me a greater understanding of exercises that helps older people. l always try and encourage people that I meet to come to the club and try it.
Success at Our GOGA Open Day!
On Saturday 7th May we held our first GOGA Open Day at Five Rivers Health & Wellbeing Centre. The aim of the day was to promote GOGA, inviting people to come along to learn more about the programme and have a go at some of the sessions we deliver, which include walking football, pickleball, tai chi and seated exercises.
The atmosphere in the sports hall was buzzing, with lots of laughter, banter and encouragement from everyone to get involved. There was even an edge of competitive spirit within the pickleball games!
One lady who bought her son along to the event said how much she enjoyed doing some activity and that to be able to do something like this rather than wait for her son to swim each week would be ideal. She also loved the concept of GOGA and the fact its inclusive for everyone!
The day was also a chance to recruit some new volunteers to the programme. Having volunteers involved with GOGA will provide many new and exciting opportunities, they bring new capacities, abilities and perspectives. We believe that everyone should be able to contribute as a volunteer making it as inclusive as possible.
If you missed our Open Day, don't worry! We would love to chat with you about getting involved in GOGA as a volunteer, or participant.
Please contact Dominique@wiltssport.org / 07786221235. We would love to hear from you.
Get in Touch
To find out more about volunteering with GOGA, get in touch with Dominique.
Health and Wellbeing Manager