The Active Lives Survey gathers information on how children across England engage with sport and physical activity. The survey is school-based and covers measures of children's activity levels, physical literacy, swimming proficiency, well-being, self-efficacy, and levels of social trust.
Sport England aims to survey 100,000 children and young people in Years 1 to 11 each academic year, of which 1800 are from Wiltshire and Swindon.
WASP are responsible for supporting each randomly selected school to complete the survey. This involves:
- Randomly selecting classes within the school to complete the Survey and agreeing the date that the school will complete the Survey (at any point within the given term).
- Sending out of essential information each school needs to administer the Survey.
- Reminding schools where necessary or follow up in the case of partial completion.
- Where requested by schools, providing signposting and/or guidance to other opportunities for their sport and physical activity offer.
See below for a list of schools in Wiltshire and Swindon who are participating in the Active Lives Survey in the 2021-2022 Academic Year.
Want to get your school involved? Scroll down to find out what participation involves and how you can volunteer to participate.
What does Participation Involve?
- The survey is designed to be as easy to complete as possible and are tailored to different age groups. They can be completed in around 20 minutes on computers, laptops, or tablets.
- The survey can be done at any point during the allocated term, depending on what works best for the school involved.
- A teacher from each school is also asked to complete a 10 minute survey, and in some schools, for younger pupils parents me also be asked to fill out a questionnaire.
If your school is not randomly selected to participate, you can opt-in to complete the survey voluntarily. Whilst schools who opt-in are not eligible to receive credits for sports equipment, they will receive a report summarising survey responses (proving enough valid responses are received).
They also have the opportunity to achieve a Healthy Schools Rating if the teacher survey is completed.
What do Schools Gain from Participating?
All participating schools will receive credits to exchange for sports equipment, and a bespoke report from Sport England about their pupils. One survey takes 15 minutes to answer on-line, but the results will last for longer. They will influence local decision-making and inform government policy.
In addition, completion of the teacher survey can generate a bronze, silver, or gold Healthy Schools Rating.
Resources for Schools
Find out More
For more information on the Active Lives Survey, or to opt-in, contact Rik.
Project Officer- Active Lives & Primary PE Premium
- 07787 298810