Understanding Audiences - Sport England Research
We have provided insights and understanding into what affects and impacts specific population groups, and you can find out more by clicking on the sections below.
- Getting Active OutdoorsWe commissioned the Outdoor Industries Association to explore the outdoors sport, activity and recreation market in England.
- Sport and ageA review into young people's lives found sport needs to adapt how it presents itself to broaden its reach.
- Sport and educationWe invest in universities and colleges across England to increase the number of students playing sport.
- Sport and familiesResearch suggests that families and their dynamics are of central importance to an individual's participation levels in sport.
- Sport and womenResearch suggests how to go about redressing the balance between the number of men and women doing sport or physical activity.
- Sport and ethnicityThe number of people playing sport varies widely by ethnic group.
- Sport and faith groupsFaith has an influence on sports take-up, especially among some groups of women.
- Sport, sexual orientation and gender identitySport take-up is high among gay men and lesbian women, according to the latest Active People survey.
- Sport and disabilityThe number of disabled people who take part in sport has risen significantly, but barriers remain.
- Clubs and volunteeringVolunteers are vital to many sports - but their input needs to be valued and cherished.
- Economic conditionsHard economic times have had a significant impact on the take-up of sport.
- Events A quarter of the sporting population - including lapsed participants - are highly responsive to the 'demonstration effect' of a major event.
- Sport and CommunitiesMore than half of UK adults do not take part in sport regularly – but we are gaining a clearer understanding of the factors which influence participation.
- Participant profilesOur sport market segmentation tool considers people’s lives as a whole.
- Sport satisfaction levelsWe've annually monitored sport satisfaction levels.
- Market segmentationOur market segmentation has been designed to help understand the life stages and attitudes of different population groups.