Active Lives Survey
The Sport England Active Lives Surveys measure the activity levels of people across England. There are two surveys: Active Lives Adult, which is published twice a year, and the world-leading Active Lives Children and Young People, which is published annually. Both give a unique and comprehensive view of how people are getting active.
Active Lives Adult Survey
This focuses on people aged 16 and above. Collection of data for our Active Lives Adult Survey began in November 2015 – replacing the Active People Survey – and runs for an initial period of five years. The survey is sent out to a randomly selected sample of households across England and help to provide an in-depth picture of how many people take part in sport and physical activity by demographic group, location and activity type.
Active Lives Children and Young People
This survey looks at the activity levels of children aged 5-16. Schools that have been randomly selected arrange for up to three mixed ability classes in up to three randomly chosen year groups to complete an online survey. The survey has a different design for Years 1-2, Years 3-6 and Years 7-11 to ensure it's suitable for each age group. In addition to this, parents of children sampled in Years 1-2 are asked to complete a questionnaire to provide more detail about their child’s physical activity behaviours and one teacher per school is also asked to complete a questionnaire on facilities, teacher training, active travel, types of physical activity on offer and the impact of PE and School Sport Premium funding to provide context to children's responses.
We play a key role and act as the main point of contact for schools regarding the Active Lives Children and Young People Survey. Our role encompasses:
- Making contact with each randomly selected school to explain the purpose of the Survey and secure the school’s agreement to take part
- Randomly selecting classes within the school to complete the Survey and agree the date that the school will complete the Survey (at any point within the given term)
- Sending out of the information each school needs to administer the Survey
- Chasing schools where necessary or follow up in the case of partial completion
- Where requested by schools, providing signposting and/or guidance to other opportunities for their sport and physical activity offer
More Information: Click here